Top 35 Maya Angelou Quotes


I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.

My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness.

If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?

The love of the family, the love of the person can heal. It heals the scars left by a larger society. A massive, powerful society.

You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.

I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.

I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.

I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.


Nothing will work unless you do.

You are the sum total of everything you’ve ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot—it’s all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive.

We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me.

I do not trust people who don't love themselves and yet tell me, 'I love you.' There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.

Hold those things that tell your history and protect them. During slavery, who was able to read or write or keep anything? The ability to have somebody to tell your story to is so important. It says: ‘I was here. I may be sold tomorrow. But you know I was here.

Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can't practice any other virtue consistently.

When I am writing, I am trying to find out who I am, who we are, what we’re capable of, how we feel, how we lose and stand up, and go on from darkness into darkness. I’m trying for that. But I’m also trying for the language. I’m trying to see how it can really sound.

Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.

I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life".


Yet it is only love which sets us free.

Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.

My life has been long, and believing that life loves the liver of it, I have dared to try many things, sometimes trembling, but daring, still.

Let others have the privacy of touching words and love of loss of love.

Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.

It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.

There have been people in my life who meant me well, taught me valuable lessons, and others who have meant me ill and, have given me ample notification that my world is not meant to be all peaches and cream.

I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.


You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.

I laugh as much as I can and cry when I have to, without apology. I think that's happy.

I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass.

No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Determine to live life with flair and laughter.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder