Top 40 Jane Austen Quotes

Jane Austen Quotes

One cannot be always laughing at a man without now and then stumbling on something witty.

There is safety in reserve, but no attraction. One cannot love a reserved person.

I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.

Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable.

Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings.

Let me know when you begin the new tea, and the new white wine. My present elegancies have not yet made me indifferent to such matters. I am still a cat if I see a mouse.

It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy — it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.

The more I see of the world, the more am i dissatisfied with it; and everyday confirms my belief of the inconsistencies of all human.

For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

Give a girl an education and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without further expense to anybody.

Jane Austen Quotes

Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience; or give it a more fascinating name: call it hope.

No man is offended by another man's admiration of the woman he loves; it is the woman only who can make it a torment.

To love is to burn, to be on fire.

In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

Where the heart is really attached, I know very well how little one can be pleased with the attention of any body else.

We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.

I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.

There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart.

Yes, I found myself, by insensible degrees, sincerely fond of her; and the happiest hours of my life were what I spent with her.

There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.

Jane Austen Quotes

Mr. Digweed has used us basely. Handsome is as handsome does; he is therefore a very ill-looking man.

To sit in the shade on a fine day, and look upon verdure is the most perfect refreshment.

My beauty you had early withstood, and as for my manners—my behavior to you was at least always bordering on the uncivil, and I never spoke to you without rather wishing to give you pain than not. Now be sincere; did you admire me for my impertinence?For the liveliness of your mind, I did.

There are as many forms of love as there are moments in time.

We are to have a tiny party here tonight. I hate tiny parties, they force one into constant exertion.

They are much to be pitied who have not been given a taste for nature early in life.

I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.

My real purpose was to see you, and to judge, if I could, whether I might ever hope to make you love me.

The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!

Jane Austen Quotes

Next week I shall begin my operations on my hat, on which you know my principal hopes of happiness depend.

A man would always wish to give a woman a better home than the one he takes her from; and he who can do it, where there is no doubt of her regard, must, I think, be the happiest of mortals.Jane Austen

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.

It is very difficult for the prosperous to be humble.

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

Next to being married, a girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then.

To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance.

If I could but know his heart, everything would become easy.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder